Text Size

We're here to help

(07) 49 591 575

Opening Hour

Mon-Thur 9:00-17:00

Whatever your situation, if you want to access financial help from the government, you may need to get an assessment by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT).

Your first step is to contact an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT). The assessment is free and they’ll be able to give you more information about the procedure.

If you want to speak to someone to find out more about ACATs, contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or click here.

An ACAT assessment helps the government work out which services you may be eligible for, as well as working out how well you’re able to cope with daily living activities and your own care.

If you wish to access government-funded services, you will probably need an assessment. Many other service providers offer their own assessments to help you access their services.

An aged-care assessment involves a visit from one or two members of the ACAT team, who will talk through the activities you find difficult to manage. They’ll then be able to discuss your options and let you know how to access the services that may be able to help you.

  • You have the right to be treated with dignity and respect.
  • You have the right to information about the assessment process – to be told what is happening and why.
  • You have the right to express your own views and ideas.
  • You have the right to have your personal information (such as medical history) treated in confidence.
  • You have the right to have someone with you during the assessment if you wish, for example a carer, close friend or relative.
  • You may wish to have an interpreter, which the Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT or ACAS in Victoria) can arrange.
  • If you wish, an independent advocate can help you with advice, or act on your behalf.
  • If you have concerns about the conduct or operation of an ACAT member/s, there are procedures in place to help you lodge a complaint. If any complaint cannot be resolved by the ACAT, you also have the right to direct your complaint to the relevant State department. If you’re not happy with your assessment or the recommendations made by the ACAT, you can lodge a formal appeal. This page tells you how.

Prior to applying for admission to ABH, an applicant will have been assessed by an Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) as being suitable for accommodation in either a low-care or high-care service.

During the application process, ABH will assess a potential resident’s care needs against the service profile of either A.H. Orr Lodge, or Bethel Nursing Home.

If the care needs fall within the relevant service profile, then the applicant will be considered for admission.

Other factors, such as the availability of a suitable bed, financial issues and regulatory guidelines, also need to be taken into account.

If the care needs fall outside the relevant service profile, the applicant will not be considered for admission because it would be unsafe to try to meet their needs when the facility does not have the relevant equipment, staff or skills.

In general terms, clinical staff will speak regularly with family members and carers about developing care needs.

Significant issues will be raised by the relevant Registered Nurse or the Executive Care Manager.

If the care needs are progressing to a point where they cannot be safely met in the present facility, a formal assessment will be undertaken by the relevant health professional.

This will be followed by a family conference to discuss the assessment and alternative care options.

The outcomes of the family conference will then be documented in a letter to the resident’s representative.

In these circumstances, it is important to note that the resident’s safety is the critical factor in determining whether their care needs can still be met in the local facility.

Should a move become necessary, we will assist in locating appropriate alternative places of care.

Generally, this will occur over a period of time and there will be opportunity for discussion and preparation for any change.

Sometimes, this process can occur quickly. For example, if a resident is transferred to hospital and is reassessed in hospital with a care need outside the facility’s profile.

Should this eventuate, ABH will assist, if necessary, with finding alternative accommodation. This may be within ABH or with another aged-care provider.